By Alec Hogg
I can’t predict if future historians will pinpoint October 2023 as a turning point for South Africa, but if they do, it won’t come as a surprise. This has been an extraordinary month, marked by indomitable athletes defying the odds and the end of a political experiment that could have produced the worst of all possible outcomes.
First, let’s talk about the Springboks. Videos from across the nation confirm that last Saturday’s victory united our resilient country in an unprecedented way. It’s not just that everyone loves a winner; it’s the manner of those knock-out victories—three in a row, by the narrowest of margins and with the maximum amount of grit—that made the difference.___STEADY_PAYWALL___
Turning to politics, the actions of the red-overalled Fuhrer in Paris, on a night when his followers were vocally against the national team, are breathtakingly hypocritical. It’s a moment that those who cheered on Siya Kolisi’s warriors are unlikely to forget—or forgive.
However, the larger issue is the ANC’s growing realisation that their Doomsday Coalition with the EFF has been disastrous. The ‘dry run’ of alliances in Johannesburg, Ekurhuleni, Nelson Mandela Bay, Mogale City and elsewhere has had a predictable consequence: escalating levels of looting and destruction.
As RW Johnson astutely notes in another of his excellent contributions today, it’s ironic that the ANC ever thought the outcome would be different. On the upside, it’s better for the flaws of the Doomsday Coalition experiment to be exposed at a local level, rather than risking a potential national catastrophe.
Roll on 2024.
PS I’m hosting two interactive webinars this week. Please diarise:
- Tomorrow (Tuesday 31st) at noon is the BizNews portfolio update. Available to all Premium members but you do need to register. Here’s the link: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ktCocM4zQMa7W8bqavq6JA
- On Wednesday evening (Nov 1) it’s my report-back on the MTBPS (mini Budget) which I’ll be working on from 6am in lockup. Here’s the link to register: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Nu_Ar9wVTgiTKS0MoFPcGw
- The Road to Dictatorship in South Africa
- From Jo’burg to beyond, SA gem Tashas is brewing success– Natasha Sideris
- Premium RW Johnson: Godongwana v Kubayi – Wednesday will show what ANC rules