The world is changing fast and to keep up you need local knowledge with global context.
START YOUR MORNING BY LISTENING TO TODAY’S BIZNEWS BREAKFAST BRIEFING – Netflix loses subscribers, shares surge; Bitcoin booms; US equities jump most in a month; Piet Viljoen on when to sell; Kokkie Kooyman on what banks to buy; Brazilian Zuma favourite to win presidential election.
Catch up with the latest on BizNews.com
- What fresh hell is Eskom planning for unsuspecting users of solar power?
- SA’s top money manager says many JSE-listed stocks “very cheap”
- Judge a losing ANC by its behaviour in Howick
- Most in government haven’t a clue about basics of engineering
- Politics subsumes genuine healthcare, with no effort to intervene
- Natural immunity still superior against Covid-19
- No single cause explains mass shootings in SA
- Sean Peche: Potential for negative shocks from Tesla, Netflix this week – and a French business worth buying into
- ‘Some black eyes along the way – but no more than the big banks’
- Tech savvy or tech addicted? Older adults are stuck on screens, too (Premium)
Sleeping your way to avoiding a heart attack. Seriously.
Ever since acquiring my ‘To Dad From Dad’ Garmin Watch for Christmas, I’ve been paying a lot more attention to my sleep. The wearable measures how long I sleep and provides a score based on the length and level of Deep, REM and Light sleep – and Stress.
SO I was intrigued to see the American Heart Association has added sleep to its heart and brain health checklist – the 8th factor needing monitoring. Others to watch are ‘nicotine exposure’ (vaping added to ciggies), physical activity, diet, weight, blood glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure.
So how much sleep is going to prevent you becoming a statistic – especially now that we all know how heart disease kills more of us than anything else? The Association says the ideal level of sleep for adults is seven to nine hours. Garmin gives me a thumbs up after seven hours.
More important than the length of sleep in my watch’s measure, though, is the type. A good chunk of Deep and REM sleep with a low Stress count scores in the upper 20 percentile. Sleeping for eight hours doesn’t always make the grade. No surprise, perhaps, that in sleep, just like life, quality also trumps quantity.
UPCOMING EVENTS – SIGN UP NOW
Yesterday’s update from the team at Champagne Sports Resort is that four of the 152 rooms at the BNC#4 venue have been freed up by those who booked earlier but did not settle the deposit requirement. There are also rooms available at nearby Champagne Castle, specially set aside for BizNews community members. With just over a month to go, act now to secure your seat at our fourth conference in the Drakensberg, held from August 30 to September 3. Click here for all the details and to register your interest.
To receive the Daily Insider every weekday at 6am in your inbox click here. You can also sign up to the weekend’s BizNews Digest for a wrap of the best content BizNews has to offer, for a leisurely Saturday read.
Cyril Ramaphosa: The Audio Biography
Listen to the story of Cyril Ramaphosa's rise to presidential power, narrated by our very own Alec Hogg.