The world is changing fast and to keep up you need local knowledge with global context.
START YOUR MORNING BY LISTENING TO TODAY’S BIZNEWS BREAKFAST BRIEFING PODCAST – Stocks end strongly, making July best month since April 2020; Arcelor Mittal’s appeal for investors; Crypto back in favour; China fears property-driven social unrest
(If you’re struggling to access BBB via Spotify of iTunes, an audio-only version is also available on the BizNewsTV channel on YouTube).
Catch up with the latest on BizNews.com
- Securing SA’s ‘porous borders’ – new Border Management Authority
- Meet the psychiatrist who capsized depression, serotonin hypothesis
- Petrol price deregulation – be aware of the pitfalls
- ANC politics – so funny, but sadly, so true
- Spare a thought for all involved in Stellenbosch urinating saga
- Why Apple and Amazon jumped after lower quarterly earnings
- After 2024, Russia’s flying solo
- How not to get caught up in the power generation story
- What you need to know about ageing up, scaling down
- How important are good quality tyres?
- Direct indexing is in: why you should be doing it
- Counting our blessings in Zimbabwe – Cathy Buckle
- If Dr Frans is right – here’s a stock to put away in your bottom drawer (Premium)
NB: Getting this newsletter second hand? Click here for your own copy. It’s free and takes under a minute.
It’s high time we dispatched Covid Fear and had some fun again
So, 79-year-old Joe Biden twice contracted Covid-19 last month and never missed a day’s work. The second infection was so mild it was only picked up through a test to double check the previous one had ended. If that’s not enough evidence the pandemic is over, what is?
Unfortunately, the return-to-normality message doesn’t appear to have permeated Sunny South Africa. On Friday evening we took our visiting niece for dinner and a show at Sandton Square. Kate Normington was excellent. The audience, pitifully small.
It was a similar experience a week before when my pal Guy treated us to front row seats at the excellent Alan Committie’s brief stint at Emperor’s Palace. SA’s smut-free, high-quality comedian was in cracking form. Again, the audience barely filled a quarter of the theatre.
Given the pandemic is well and truly over and considering how much SA’s world class artistes like Kate, Alan and others suffered during lockdowns, surely it’s time to throw off irrational fears and show them some support? And have some fun in the process.
UPCOMING EVENTS – SIGN UP NOW
BizNews Conference – August 30 to Sept 3
All the rooms at Champagne Sports Resort are now allocated. But there are other accommodation options in the Valley which work well with the Day Pass option introduced for the first time. So if you want to spend four days with Paul O’Sullivan, RW Johnson, Rob Hersov, Mavuso Msimang, Piet Viljoen and our other speakers, click here for all the details and to register your interest.
To receive the Daily Insider every weekday at 6am in your inbox click here. You can also sign up to the weekend’s BizNews Digest for a wrap of the best content BizNews has to offer, for a leisurely Saturday read.
Cyril Ramaphosa: The Audio Biography
Listen to the story of Cyril Ramaphosa's rise to presidential power, narrated by our very own Alec Hogg.