The world is changing fast and to keep up you need local knowledge with global context.
The total cost of Nkandla was estimated at around R206m, he said at a press briefing on the upgrades on Tuesday. Of this R50.5m was spent on security, R20.7m on consultants, and R135.2m on houses, which should never have been lumped into the reported amount for Nkandla spending.
This is a list of 18 security upgrades the R50.5m was spent on, according to the minister:
- A visitors’ centre
- an SA Police Service control room
- a SAPS guard house on the main security road
- four SAPS guard houses around the fence
- a perimeter intrusion detection system for fence technology
- an open water source or fire pool
- an animal enclosure which included a kraal with culvert and chicken run
- an amphitheatre, which was an emergency assembly point, parade ground and soil retaining wall
- a security road
- a patrol road and paved roads around the security precinct
- State vehicle garages
- a soil retaining wall
- lightning arrestors
- fire-fighting equipment
- bullet-proof windows
- an alarm security system
- power generators
Cyril Ramaphosa: The Audio Biography
Listen to the story of Cyril Ramaphosa's rise to presidential power, narrated by our very own Alec Hogg.