The world is changing fast and to keep up you need local knowledge with global context.
Not for the first time, South Africa breathed a collective sigh of relief this week when its president resisted the urge to tighten the Covid-19 related lockdown, ignoring shrill demands from the left. So, the hospitality industry’s much needed Easter holiday boost goes ahead, sparing the economy further harm.
For most, the ANC elective conference in December 2017 is a distant memory. Except for cynics, of course, who love to say reaction to Zuma’s ousting – Ramaphoria – was overdone. Perhaps. But like every seismic shift, while it was over-estimated in the short-term, the long-term impact was under-estimated.
Ramaphosa’s decision to go easy over Easter, the likely cause for the unexpected resignation of his Covid Tzar, would have been shaped by economic data. Primarily charts like the one above by Stanlib chief economist Kevin Lings, which plots where SA’s economy is heading (by using “leading indicators”).
Their track record tells us Zuma and his cronies wouldn’t have bothered with such niceties. Given the plundering cabal’s real intentions – laid bare in mountains of evidence at the Zondo Commission they would have used any excuse to tighten a lockdown. Cyril Ramaphosa, instead, relied on the facts and has acted in the national interest. He is keeping the faith. So should we.
PS Those 100 people in the room at Champagne Sports resort when Nick Hudson delivered his keynote to the BizNews Investment conference two weeks ago had a front row seat to a phenomenon. The recording of his presentation, posted on YouTube five days ago, has now been viewed more than 350 000 times. Part Two – the Q&A after his podium address – was uploaded last night. Here’s the link:
How to catch the BizNews Power Hour
The BizNews Power Hour is broadcast every evening from 5:30pm SA time. There are quite a few ways to catch it live……
- On our 24×7 live stream which is at https://iono.fm/s/141
- Watch the in-studio action on the BizNewsTV YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEKFTZQpCTs3YVf3yetO3Ng
- In Cape Town free to air – Fine Music Radio on FM 101.3 (CT); 107.9 (False Bay); 94.7 (Hout Bay); 97.1 (Altantic Seaboard)
- Via FMR live stream: https://iono.fm/s/6
- Via FMR on DSTV – channel 838
If you miss the live show, all recordings of BizNews Power Hour are available on:
- BizNews Radio on Spotify – https://open.spotify.com/show/5FFrCgm9cQpFdpemev4lEI
- BizNews Radio on Apple Podcasts (iTunes) –https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/biznews-radio/id1441394221
For your listening and viewing pleasure:
- Latest audio on BizNews Radio…(click on the link to access)
- BPH: Piet Viljoen; Easy Equities; FMF; SAA pilots
- FB: “Farcical” vaccine roll-out; interest rate risk; MTN, Vodacom
- China tech stocks Tencent, Alibaba in govt crosshairs.
- Cy Jacobs on collapse of Archegos, views on crypto
- Transaction Capital CEO on “fabulous” WeBuyCars acquisition
- Understanding ANC’s Moment of Truth – Nic Borain
- New ways to take up life insurance with CEO of BrightRock
- Meet Stephen Saad: Behind-the-scenes on J&J vaccine
Latest videos on BizNews TV… (subscribe and tune in daily at 5:30pm to the livestream of the BizNews Power Hour)
Cyril Ramaphosa: The Audio Biography
Listen to the story of Cyril Ramaphosa's rise to presidential power, narrated by our very own Alec Hogg.