The world is changing fast and to keep up you need local knowledge with global context.
Trevor Watkins delves into the intentions of the atrocities committed by Hamas and the reaction of Israel to them. He discusses how Israel are falling for Hamas’s trap and how 2 million Palestinians living in the Gaza strip will bear the consequences. He outlines a 6-step plan for Israel to curtail Hamas’ ploy and eliminate the terrorist organisation from the Gaza strip.
Sign up for your early morning brew of the BizNews Insider to keep you up to speed with the content that matters. The newsletter will land in your inbox at 5:30am weekdays. Register here.
By Trevor Watkins*
‘Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy resistance without fighting.’ – Sun Tzu
The recent atrocities by Hamas and its backers have a single intention; to goad Israel into doing something unforgivably stupid, thereby damaging both Israel’s and the West’s credibility and moral standing in the world. If Israel succumbs to this provocation, it is helping Hamas and Iran to write the script.
Hamas expects Israel to exact a dreadful vengeance. Hamas expects bombs and bullets. They expect relatively innocent Palestinians to die in large numbers. They are counting on Israeli atrocities. What would Hamas and their paymasters least expect? Forbearance, wisdom, kindness, generosity, patience.
Two million Palestinians are trapped in the Gaza strip. They have nowhere to go except hell. That is part of the Hamas plan.
Here is my proposal to confound Hamas and the world.
- Instead of deploying 300,000 troops into hand-to-hand fighting in Gaza, Israel establishes a refugee camp on the southwestern border of the strip.
- Israel and the West provide resources to rapidly fence this camp and populate it with tents, kitchens, hospitals, security services.
- A refugee vetting centre is set up on the border with the Gaza strip. Only women, children and the elderly are allowed into the refugee camp. No men under the age of 70 are allowed in.
- Hamas will desperately attack the entrance to the camp, using all means available. This will provide a quick and easy way of identifying and eliminating Hamas operatives.
- When the bulk of women and children are safely in the camp, Israeli troops can start processing the remaining male population. Only heavily vetted men will be allowed into a separate male area of the camp, and will be closely watched.
- The men remaining in the Gaza strip can now be methodically eliminated without too much collateral damage.
The advantages of this approach are so obvious that I am sure they will be ignored.
*Trevor Watkins is the founder of the Individualist Movement, the author of two books, and a contributing author for the Free Market Foundation. He publishes on a blog at libertarian.org.za. The views expressed in the article are the author’s and not necessarily shared by the members of the Foundation.
Israel view from here: In response to Trevor Watkins
From BizNews Community Member Ben Friedman
Israel is not short of people “ experts “ and laymen telling her what to do
Israel is even being accused of war crimes by the corrupt UN and others before any troops have gone in on the ground . I am afraid Mr Watkins’ article is pie in the sky .
Every war creates refugees . Look at Syria there were millions of refugees. Most taken in by Europe and a lesser amount by Jordan and Turkey
However in this case No Arab brothers are interested in the poor Palestinians. The obvious question is why does Egypt not let the civilians cross the border and ask the UN to establish temporary camps until the war is over ?
The truth is no Arab country wants them even though they are fellow Arabs
They would rather continue to use them as a thorn in Israel’s side then show any humanity to their brothers. Egypt will not even allow dual nationals holding foreign passports to cross into their territory. This is where the criticism should be directed.
Ben Friedman Tel Aviv
- The ANC v/s Israel: Ambassador wants dialogue amid calls to shut his embassy, eject him – and boycott Israeli goods
- How to fix Gaza: Former Israeli PM Olmert urges revisiting two-state solution – Marc Champion
- Andrew Kenny tackles emerging antisemitic rhetoric amidst the ongoing Israel-Hamas conflict
Cyril Ramaphosa: The Audio Biography
Listen to the story of Cyril Ramaphosa's rise to presidential power, narrated by our very own Alec Hogg.