START YOUR MORNING BY LISTENING TO TODAY’S BIZNEWS BREAKFAST BRIEFING PODCAST – Amazon zooms, Apple jumps after quarterlies; Rand, Gold, Bitcoin rise again; Unpacking ANC’s Taliban; US technically in recession
(If you’re struggling to access BBB via Spotify of ITunes, an audio-only version is also available on the BizNewsTV channel on YouTube).
Catch up with the latest on BizNews.com
- Dr Frans Cronje: SA economy on brink of post-ANC rejuvenation.
- Anti-dumping tariff could send tyre prices skyrocketing by 40%
- Moving beyond a mere awareness of SA’s mental health crisis
- Counting the spoils of ill-gotten gains – Anthea Jeffery
- How to clear the mental block against maths in SA
- Meta hopes to run a leaner operation amid drop in advertising revenue
- Booster shots prematurely approved after Biden, Big Pharma colluded
- St Francis Links Villas: Health and Wellness
- Hamba kahle, John Kane-Berman
- “At Omba, we’re active managers, but our tool set is ETFs”
- FT perspective: The oil dealmaker: Total CEO is not backing down (Premium)
NB: If you’re getting this newsletter second hand – click here to subscribe for your own copy. It’s free and signing up takes less than a minute.
Amazon, Apple surge supports Buffett’s advice to hold ‘forever’
Among the most popular parts of the BizNews Premium offering is our share portfolio, and the monthly update webinar where subscribers get to pose questions.
The portfolio follows one of the cornerstones of Warren Buffett’s investment strategy: do your homework thoroughly before becoming a co-owner of a company so that once you’ve bought the shares, approach them with a holding period of ‘forever’.
That has served the portfolio very well since its launch in December 2014. Especially though resisting the temptation to take profits from the investments into Amazon and Apple. Their continued outperformance means their slice of the portfolio has risen to around half the total.
Those who have replicated the BizNews model’s holdings have more reason to celebrate this morning. The shares prices of both companies rose strongly in the after-market following the last night’s post-close release of their quarterly results – Amazon jumped 13.5%; Apple 4.5%. Further evidence that share prices around the world may have been dropped too far too fast.
UPCOMING EVENTS – SIGN UP NOW
BizNews Conference – August 30 to Sept 3
All the rooms at Champagne Sports Resort are now allocated. But there are other accommodation options in the Valley which work well with the Day Pass option introduced for the first time. So if you want to spend four days with Paul O’Sullivan, RW Johnson, Rob Hersov, Mavuso Msimang, Piet Viljoen and our other speakers, click here for all the details and to register your interest.
To receive the Daily Insider every weekday at 6am in your inbox click here. You can also sign up to the weekend’s BizNews Digest for a wrap of the best content BizNews has to offer, for a leisurely Saturday read.