The world is changing fast and to keep up you need local knowledge with global context.
LATEST ON BIZNEWS RADIO: ‘We can no longer trust science at all’ – Dr Peter Breggin on Fauci, Covid-19 and the global predators profiting from vaccines. (For Spotify, click here)
LATEST ON BIZNEWS.COM:
- What will happen if Eskom has to implement Stage 8 loadshedding?
- How to change your thinking on managing money – Piet Viljoen
- The private sector can solve SA’s electricity problems
- A Will is the key that secures your family’s future
- Managing South Africa’s scarce water resources is vital
- ‘We can no longer trust science at all’ – Dr Peter Breggin on Fauci, Covid-19 and the global predators profiting from vaccines
- Waterfall, Johannesburg, licensing department shows how government facilities should work
- Ramaphosa’s US visit deemed a success
- From the archives: Jansen was first to give the ANC the boot
- Financial Times perspective: Market reset delivers constant shock therapy (Premium)
- Welcome to Ep 1 of BBB’s successor, your exclusive weekly Premium Briefing (Premium)
NB: Getting this newsletter second hand? Click here for your own copy. It’s free and takes under a minute.
Knysna is one of the most beautiful towns in South Africa. Nestled between a magnificent lagoon and world-famous forests, it possesses the natural asset which is a magnet for tourists – an outlier even within a country known globally for its spectacular geography. But the locals are doing their best to snatch disaster from its obvious opportunity.
An email yesterday from Levael Davis, the DA’s caucus leader in the municipality, reported the first item on the ANC’s agenda after taking over governance is adding six “pointless” posts at a cost to ratepayers of R3m a year. The DA’s ruling coalition with the Patriotic Alliance collapsed last month after direct instructions from PA leader Gayton McKenzie.
The ANC took over the municipality with support from local party, Plaaslike Besorgde Inwoners, and the EFF – despite leader Julius Malema’s supposed hatred of his former colleagues. How “pointless” are the newly created posts for cadres? Considering the vainglorious and remembering this is a small town, the answer is obvious.
Executive mayor Aubrey Tsengwa (ANC) has a freshly appointed Chief of Staff and a Public Relations Officer. New deputy executive mayor Alberto Marbi (PBI) is rewarded by his coalition partner with three newly created employees – a Political Advisor (seriously), a Head of Office (huh?) and a Personal Assistant. Speaker Mncedisi Skosana (ANC) closes out the gravy train with a newly created Head of Office. And Knysna voted for this? Eisch.
To receive the Daily Insider every weekday at 6am in your inbox click here. You can also sign up to the weekend’s BizNews Digest for a wrap of the best content BizNews has to offer, for a leisurely Saturday read.
Cyril Ramaphosa: The Audio Biography
Listen to the story of Cyril Ramaphosa's rise to presidential power, narrated by our very own Alec Hogg.