The world is changing fast and to keep up you need local knowledge with global context.
LATEST ON BIZNEWS RADIO: Putting our money where our mouth is – 36ONE’s Cy Jacobs. (For Spotify, click here)
LATEST ON BIZNEWS.COM:
- The BizNews Tribe has spoken: The future rests in the hands of the individual
- Sort out Eskom, Gwede, and leave the Wild Coast alone
- South Africans will clutch at any straw to solve the energy crisis
- Ramaphosa – RET wolf in sheep’s clothing
- UDM’s Holomisa loses appeal against Harith
- Non-profit directors must be squeaky clean
- Meta ‘re-shuffling’ employees before layoffs
- The rise of K-Drama: A Hollywood competitor?
- Need to pay overseas employees? Use global forex services
- Boardroom Talk: Today’s Big Question for investors: How to value those ‘Exponential-No-More’ stocks (Premium)
- The question behind the Magnus Carlsen-Hans Niemann drama: How to cheat at chess? (Premium)
NB: Getting this newsletter second hand? Click here for your own copy. It’s free and takes under a minute.
SA business’s favourite future jailbird, Markus Jooste, might reside in a Hermanus mansion, but he doesn’t really live in the town. Locals tell me the former Steinhoff CEO occasionally sneaks out in disguise (hat, scarf, sunglasses) for a morning coffee. Sometimes they get the odd glimpse of his Bentley 4×4 (yes, there is one.) But even those rare sightings are about to dry up.
Last Thursday Showmax flighted the first episode in a three-part mini-series on Jooste, based on Rob Rose’s best-selling book Steinheist. It is sure to convert the last few souls who persist in giving the fraudster any benefit of the doubt. The channel is staggering the release with fresh episodes available this Thursdays and next.
Jooste never hid that Rose was his least favourite journalist. His antipathy is sure to multiply. Rose tells a really good story, excelling in his narrating role, using advantages of the medium to great effect. It is impossible for anyone who watches to misunderstand what went down. Or to be bemused why Jooste isn’t behind bars.
I had high hopes for the project after some personal interaction with executive producer Richard Finn Gregory and his team. But you never really know until you witness it in final form. It surpasses my expectations: a truly world class production, brilliantly applying the compelling content. Riveting viewing. Even for those who never owned Steinhoff shares.
In case you missed it, here’s the Best of BizNews from last week
To receive the Daily Insider every weekday at 6am in your inbox click here. You can also sign up to the weekend’s BizNews Digest for a wrap of the best content BizNews has to offer, for a leisurely Saturday read.
Cyril Ramaphosa: The Audio Biography
Listen to the story of Cyril Ramaphosa's rise to presidential power, narrated by our very own Alec Hogg.