Blitzbokke return as 7s circuit given the green light

One of the highlights of the rugby calendar is the World Rugby 7s circuit, which unfortunately could not take place in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. The World Rugby Union has given the green light for the circuit to begin at the back end of 2021, news that will be welcomed with open arms by rugby lovers across the globe. The partisan nature of the crowds and the general atmosphere is something truly special. The circuit will kick-off in one of the flagship venues, Hong Kong. Cape Town stadium will be the host for the South African leg of the 7s circuit, with locals being able to enjoy one of the more spectacular sporting venues in the world with the backdrop of the Atlantic seaboard setting the tone for what is always an unbelievable weekend. – Justin Rowe-Roberts

Read also: Springboks look ahead to historic Rugby World Cup match

By John Cheng

(Bloomberg) – One of Hong Kong’s biggest social events, the Rugby Sevens, is poised to return this year amid growing expectations that life will gradually return to normal in the coming months.

The event, part of the broader HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, is set to be held in Hong Kong on Nov. 5-7, the organiser said in a statement Wednesday. Related events are also planned in Paris, Singapore, Dubai and Cape Town, it said. Talks are being held whether to also hold matches in London and Vancouver.

The Hong Kong Sevens would mark the first major sporting event to return to the city since the pandemic. The tournament, originally scheduled for April, was postponed by the organiser late last year as the city battled a rise in Covid-19 cases but infections have fallen recently to the point that the government began to relax some social-distancing rules.

Last year, the tournament was cancelled for the first time since its debut in 1976 due to concerns over the ongoing coronavirus outbreak.

Clockenflap, Hong Kong’s biggest annual music festival, is also poised to return late November after being canceled the previous two years. The city’s biggest annual art fair, Art Basel, will also likely go ahead this year with fewer visitors, the South China Morning Post reported.

Read also:

(Visited 631 times, 7 visits today)